The first session of the new summer campaign (2017) was a big hit (literally for a few characters). I gave the players a choice of the kind of game they wanted to run for a “side quest” game session. They overwhelmingly chose a haunted house one shot. Lucky for me, I already created and DM’ed a haunted house one shot for some friends on last Halloween (2016). So I was completely prepared… right?
Hey, kiddos! Did you know that a new school year at a school is busy? I sure forgot. After four of these things, you’d think I know better but here we are. So here’s a rundown of what I’ve been doing around my regular work.
So I’ve been following different indie game developers on Twitter for a while now. I’ve felt like an imposter or like I was party crashing listening to them talk about their work. A few of these people on Twitter announced that they are putting on a ‘Salvage Jam‘ for old unfinished projects. I decided to sign up to force myself to actually finish something. I don’t want to be ‘faking it’, I just want to be ‘making it (the game that is)’.
Hey! A long… Long… LONG time ago I completed the Game Maker tutorial for ‘Catch the Clown’. It’s a super simple tutorial that comes with GM. I played around with it and made my own version that you can try out on my itch.io page.
Hey-o! Another month in the bag. Holy impending deadlines, Batman! My school project, RPG Library, is maybe 70% done. I need to finish out the quest system and port it to HTML. The quest system I feel pretty good about. Most of the quests don’t have a lot of moving parts. There is a bug where once you complete a quest the icon sticks around. So, that’s mostly grunt programming and design.
The porting to HTML can die and burn in a hell of its own creation (likely without text and a bucket full of timeout errors).