The first session of the new summer campaign (2017) was a big hit (literally for a few characters). I gave the players a choice of the kind of game they wanted to run for a “side quest” game session. They overwhelmingly chose a haunted house one shot. Lucky for me, I already created and DM’ed a haunted house one shot for some friends on last Halloween (2016). So I was completely prepared… right?
So I’ve been following different indie game developers on Twitter for a while now. I’ve felt like an imposter or like I was party crashing listening to them talk about their work. A few of these people on Twitter announced that they are putting on a ‘Salvage Jam‘ for old unfinished projects. I decided to sign up to force myself to actually finish something. I don’t want to be ‘faking it’, I just want to be ‘making it (the game that is)’.
Hey! A long… Long… LONG time ago I completed the Game Maker tutorial for ‘Catch the Clown’. It’s a super simple tutorial that comes with GM. I played around with it and made my own version that you can try out on my itch.io page.
“My name is Daniel and I volunteered to make my teams GDD.”
So I tried making my project on loose Google Docs, Trello, and Spreadsheets alone. I failed. Now I have a Game Design Document. Besides the fact that I feel so accomplished that I think I can just upload it to Steam now, I feel like I am on the path to not-failure.